Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Canning tomatoes

On Labor Day, my most incredible Mother-in-law came over to help me can tomatoes.  I've always heard that it's hot, messy and time consuming.  Yes, it was, but it was awesome.  The end result is so worth it.  I'm dreaming up spaghetti, chilli and other yummy, hearty soups with our organic tomato sauce.
 My big helper, helping wash the first batch of tomatoes. 
Debbie brought over her squeezo.  This thing was amazing.  You just quarter the clean raw tomatoes up and throw them in.  There is no cooking, peeling or handling hot tomatoes.  This little machine seperates the skins and seeds from the juice.  Awesome!


 Two pots of juice simmering away. 

 Because I was after a thicker sauce, we used a cheese cloth to drain off more water. 
 Landon was all about helping.  He ladled the sauce into the jars. 

 Finally time for a water bath. 
Ta da!  The end result.  It's a little crazy (and disappointing) to think that two red wagons of tomatoes yielded 7 pints and 2 quarts of sauce.  But like I said it's a really think sauce.  I can't wait to do it again!

No comments: