Saturday, March 3, 2012

Homemade laundry detergent

About two months ago, I had an idea to make my own laundry detergent.  This actually came before our budget makeover.  It's something I saw on my obsession love Pinterest
You can find the recipe here.  But let me break it down for ya.  You will need:
  •  1 - 4 lb 12 oz box Borax
  •  1 - 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda 
  •  1  - 3 lb 7 oz box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  •  3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap
  •  2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (this was optional, but um, I live with three boys.  Nuff said)
I found all these ingredients in the detergent isle at Wal-Mart and the total cost came in around $16.  The original recipe says it will last approximately 9 months, if that's the case, big score!  I made the detergent in mid January, and have barely put a dent in it.  In fact, it didn't all fit in this container, so I have even more than this.  I'm curious to see how long it lasts for us.
Overall, it works just as good as any other detergent.  I must say, it took a bit getting use to a powdered detergent.  I feel like I need to let the grated bar soap dissolve in the washing machine before putting clothes in, although the reviews say that's not the case.   It also does not sud, so I feel like I'm not using enough, but they say all that's needed is one oxyclean scoop.  In the end, I like it.

No comments: