Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Flood 2008

This past weekend marked the one year anniversary of the major flooding that occured throughout much of Iowa. As you know, the beautiful Turkey river flows through our back yard. It rose very quickly that Sunday and rose higher than we ever imagined it could get. We ended up sandbaging our basement patio door that Sunday evening, luckily the water never touched the sandbags. The Saturday evening before we were sitting in our living room, unaware of what was about to happen. Elke started barking and wanted outside. We saw a HUGE snapping turtle walking across the driveway. When I say huge, it was HUGE, and it was old. I know now that turtle knew what was coming and was seeking higher ground. If I ever see a turtle in my front driveway and they say heavy rains are coming, I know what's about to come. Here are just a few pictures of our backyard that Sunday and Monday. We got by pretty lucky compared to so many other people.

No comments: