Saturday, July 9, 2011

Asher's Birth Story

On Tuesday, July 5th, Jeremy and I were to be at the hospital at 6:30 am.  As much as I was trying to avoid it for weeks, I was 41 weeks pregnant and going in to be medically induced.
I was feeling pretty confident.  "I got this!" I told Jeremy. 
I was actually having contractions (didn't know it), that were 5-7 minutes apart and I was dilated between 2-3 cm.  Dr. Schilling came in a little after 7 am, and inserted a little pill that would get things going.  For the entire morning, things were going way to easy. 

Dr. Schilling came back around noon to check me again.  I was dilated to 4 cm, so she decided that instead of another round of medicine, she would break my water.  The next contraction was a little more intense, and they only picked up from there. 
From 2-3 pm, my contractions were back to back.  I was checked at about 2:15 pm, and was still only at 4 cm.  That's pretty much when I lost my confidence.  At 3 pm, I felt the need to push.  Needless to say, they checked me and was ready to go.  How did that happen so quickly?  I was really hoping to have some drugs, but there was no time.  Asher was ready to join the world and be scooped up in my arms.
Love at first sight!
Asher weighed in at a whopping 8 pounds 13 ounces.  I was also a week overdue with big brother Landon who weighed 7 pounds 15 ounces, so I was not expecting this big of a baby.  Asher is healthy and absolutely perfect and we are head over heals in love!

Big brother Landon was super excited to go to finally meet Asher.
Daddy and his boys
Well, we were discharged on Thursday, and were ready to head home.
I forgot to get a pic of Dr. Schilling and Asher, but did manage to get one with one of the nurses.  Her name was Carol, and she was my delivery nurse.  Despite her not giving me drugs, I really like her.
And one more photo of Asher's cute little face.  My future brother-in-law Mike snapped this photo, and I stole it from him.  Thanks Mike! 

No comments: