Saturday, June 11, 2011

Breakfast on the Farm

This morning, while Jeremy was hosting his jeep club, Landon, Grandma Debbie and I headed up to NICC to have "breakfast on the farm."
Thinking we were just going to go have breakfast and maybe pet a calf, I didn't realize we were in for so much more.  I also didn't realize it was so cold out.  Thankfully, Grandma Debbie helped keep Landon warm.
We got there around 8 am, just when things were getting started.  I was surprised to see so many people.  It was packed!  They started loading us up on trams, ours was pulled by a red tractor by the way Dad, and we buzzed around the farm.
There were different learning stations set up throughout the farm.  We learned about calves, how much the cows eat, freestall barns, etc.  By the way, did you know that a cow eats 100-150 pounds of food per day, and drinks 30-50 gallons of water per day.  Wow, I had no idea.  My favorite was the maternity (also referred to as the special needs) pen.  I know how you ladies are feeling!
More cows.
After the tour, it was time for some breakfast.  We had another commitment, so we had to scoot after that, but it was a fun learning experience.  Landon sure seemed to soak it all in.  I was thinking that was as close as Landon has ever been to a cow, and then I remembered him being able to pet one a couple years ago.
The photo above was taken at the Winneshiek County Fair in July 2009.

No comments: